Monday, December 6, 2010
Greasy Day
I spent most of the day looking up at the bottom of a 1981 Toyota Land Cruiser. I put a clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing in it earlier back in November with some help from Lee Russell helping me get it shoehorned back up onto the engine again.....they tell you in the manual to remove the gas tank to do this job so you'll have enough room ....but I thought that was a bit extreme. We managed to get it in there...barely. What I did today was take out the front and rear drive shaft and put new seals in them. Needless to say when you take out the old seal gravity lets you know that there is plenty of old sticky thick oil in the transfer case. Its kinda like honey running up your arms.....but it doesn't smell or taste like honey. It will however, keep your hair matted to your head quite nicely. Also removed the drivers side front axle and replace all the seals and gaskets and brake pads.(already did the passenger side Saturday) Then finished up by squeezing plastic bottles of 90W oil uphill into the transfer case, the transmission, the back differential and the front differential. ...ended up using about 5 quarts in all...90W oil kinda gets thicker when the highs are in the 40's. Squeezing it is hard enough but by the time you lay there on your shoulders holding your hands up in the air everything gets real heavy ...I guess your arms don't get enough circulation for your muscles or something...anyway It's in there now....gonna take a hot shower and see if I can get the smell of rearend grease off of me.....oh and the 90W too....................lol.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment